I am going to start keeping a list of free DNS servers. I am seeing some weird things happening online. There was big talk about some DNS virus out there at DNS Changer Working Group (DCWG) . It seemed to come and go without incident.
There are still some lists of free DNS servers out there.
I found two at About.com.
The first is called Top Free Internet DNS Servers. It gives some background info on each one.
The better of the two is called Free and Public DNS Servers. It presents them in a list format, which I prefer.
He lists the servers from:
- Google: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- DNSAdvantage (now Neustar): 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
- OpenDNS: 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 (check near the bottom of the page; I do not see a separate page about it)
- Norton: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 (I cannot find a page on their site, but I tried them with the “host” command and they seem to work)
- GTEI DNS (now Verizon) (no link provided): 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- ScrubIT: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206