Last Lombok Refactoring

This is the last refactoring example of deadlocked Java code using the “synchronized” keyword.

This example is from a site called Rose India.

I was not able to really use Lombok for this example. The classes that deadlocked extended Thread, and the only method in those classes was the run() method. I did not know if annotating run() with the Lombok annotation would work. The method run() was not marked with the “synchronized” method in the original. Instead there were two synchronized blocks in the run() method. The two classes were using the same String objects to lock, which is why there was a deadlock.

So I decided to do by hand what Lombok does behind the screens. I created a private final object in each method and used those for one of the locks. Just as in the other examples, the deadlock was broken.

Here is the original;

Here is the output of the original:

Here is the refactored version:

Here is the output of the refactored version:

 

Image from Wikipedia page for the Indonesian province of Central Java, assumed allowed under Fair Use.